The San Lorenzo Library, together with the Alameda County Alliance for Art Learning Leadership, present to you our second annual Art is Education month! With so much excitement and pride, the library is celebrating and advocating arts education through sponsoring a month-long series of FREE (yes, free!) arts events! The scope of this county-wide project is quite large. In the Alameda County Library system alone, over 50 free arts events will be hosted. You can check out our entire March calendar at the official website here.
So, what’s happening at the San Lorenzo Library? Well, here’s just a teaser! More to come!
First, today is the launch of our Childrens’ Picture Book Contest, open to all ages. To some, this may seem, well, childish. Haha, however, we really encourage everyone to apply! Everyone has a life lesson, hilarious story, or imagined tale that can be put into beautiful illustrated form. We’re excited to read our top entries during our library storytime. If you haven’t been convinced yet, we’ve also thrown in a $50 prize for our top entries in each age group! 🙂 The official rules are published below.
Secondly, join us in a community art project! This Saturday, March 3rd from 12-4PM, you’re invited to our printmaking workshop! Not only will artist Susan Sullivan be teaching the technique behind this versatile art, we will – with your permission – use one of your prints to piece together a community “quilt” or banner with all our work! It’ll be a mosaic, mural masterpiece! Come join us! Community art projects are hard to come by, and you can’t give up an opportunity like this!
We’re excited to see you there!
Rules of Children’s Picture Book Competition
1. Entrants must be over seven (7) years old.
2. Entrants must be residents of San Lorenzo or adjacent cities.
3. Maximum one entry per author and illustrator.
1. All entries must meet the following requirements:
- Include a separate page listing author’s and illustrator’s name, address, phone number or e-mail address, the book title, and a brief paragraph summary.
- Books can be handwritten or typed.
- Books should remain 30 pages or less.
- Entries must be the original work of the author and illustrator.
- Books must not measure more than 6.5 inches wide X 8 inches high in total size.
- Each page must have a ½ inch margin on the binding edge of the page for binding purposes.
2. Entries cannot have been previously accepted for publication by a commercial publisher. Self published entries are accepted.
3. The deadline for submission is March 27, 2011 at 6PM PST at the San Lorenzo Library (395 Paseo Grande, San Lorenzo, CA 94580)
4. Entries will be judged on ideas, creativity, organization, voice, word choice, illustrations, and grammar and spelling.
5. Inability to reach a prizewinner by phone or email after reasonable efforts may result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected.
1. The winners will be notified within the following two (2) weeks of the contest end date.
2. One $50 prize for the best children’s book will be issued to each age level. The categories are split into the 6 to 12 years old age group and 13 and up years old age group.
3. All contestants are invited to the 2012 Awards Presentation where they can pick up their book and a certificate of recognition.
4. Authors not present at the ceremony may pick up their books at the San Lorenzo Library.